Providing a free business tool as part of your inbound marketing plan is an effective strategy to…
- Attract unique visitors to your website
- Capture targeted leads
- Bring relevant users closer to acquisition
BUT, online business tools DO NOT market themselves.
It’s very important to avoid making the mistake of over-investing in product development at the expense of key marketing resources.
You can have the greatest free marketing tool in the world but without a promotional marketing campaign to support it and attract attention, no one will ever know it exists.
When deciding to build your tool it is critical to not ignore this fundamental piece of the puzzle.
Your inbound marketing campaign should contain these key elements:
- Setting up a preview. Prelaunch tactics allow influencers and the media access so they can write blog posts and articles supporting your tool that you can release on launch day.
- Featuring the free business tool on your website homepage.
- Using email to market the tool to your current list.
- Using social media channels to spread the word and for cost-effective advertising.
- Blog posts promoting the tool
A common mistake to avoid is limiting the tool to a small group of beta users with the notion that it will give them a sense of exclusivity – they’ll start talking about it online and people will start coming.
However, with a free business tool, this content strategy is often not very effective.
When building your tool, don’t underestimate the power of an effective marketing campaign. While it can’t fix a bad tool, it can greatly accelerate the growth of a good one…