Only 1 in 10 professional marketers describe their online lead generation efforts are “highly efficient and effective.”
For most business owners, that’s simply not good enough.
So, we’ve compiled the 30 greatest lead generation tactics into a guide and you can learn the secrets of how the experts at unfunnel and our partners at HubSpot generate a combined total of more than 70k leads per month.
These 30 tips, tricks and ideas will teach you:
- What makes killer landing pages
- The best lead-generating content
- How to create lead gen offers that are impossible to ignore
- …and more!
This is your guide to start generating more high-quality sales leads today…
PART 1: The Lead Generation Offer
It’s one of the most powerful words in the human language.
And if you think about all the things we do as startups, small biz owners or enterprise marketers, it’s ultimately to get people to say “yes” to our offers.
When an offer is exclusive, scarce, or in high demand, it becomes more desirable. Whether they are…
- Sales promotions or…
… these irresistible conversion elements can overcome a sales prospect’s typical friction, doubt, or concern.
Why do these “no-brainer” tactics consistently work?
Because they trigger a psychological reaction that makes your offer more valuable…
People need to perceive the value of your offer to be greater than what you’re asking for in return. The higher the perception of value, the more irresistible the offer.
So how do you create irresistible lead gen offers?
Glad you asked …
- Scarcity has a psychological influence on us, making us want something even more if there isn’t enough to go around. Scarcity is great because it creates a fear of shortage, and thus a sense of urgency…
- Social Proof Sells. One great way to make an offer more valuable is to show that other people are participating in that offer.
- Create Offers For Different Buying Stages. Someone at the top of the buying cycle may be more interested in an informational piece like a guide or ebook, while someone more committed at the bottom of the customer lifecycle might be more interested in a free trial or demo.
- Use High-Value Offer Formats. Not all offers are created equal. Some “offer formats” perform better than others at converting leads. For example, what’s more valuable, a whitepaper or an ebook?
PART 2: Create Killer Calls-to-Action
Calls-to-action (CTAs) are the secret sauce to driving people to your offers. If your CTAs aren’t effective at capturing people’s attention and persuading them to the click, then it makes the offer useless.
CTAs can be used on product pages (non-landing pages), in display ads, email, social media, direct mail and pretty much anywhere you can market your offer.
But not all CTAs are created equal. In a world where every brand is fighting for consumers attention, it’s critical that prospects choose your offer over your competitors.
- Place Your CTA Where the Eye Can See
- Clarity Trumps Persuasion
- Use Contrast to Make CTAs Stand Out
- Link ANY and ALL Calls-to-Action to a Dedicated Landing Page
- Promote Lead Generation Offers on Product Pages
- Thank You Pages Should NEVER Just Say “Thank You” (even if the upsell ask is small)
Part 3: Landing Pages that Perform
Landing page design is one of the most important elements of inbound lead generation.
In fact, according to MarketingSherpa’s research, landing pages are effective for 94% of B2B and B2C companies. The use of landing pages enables marketers to direct website visitors to targeted pages and capture leads at a much higher rate.
What’s great about landing pages is that they direct your visitors to one particular offer without the distractions of everything else on your website.
Visitors are on a landing page for one and only purpose: to complete the lead capture form…
Intro to Landing Page Anatomy
At minimum, lead generation landing pages will include…
- A headline
- (optional) Sub-headline with benefit attached
- A brief description of the offer
- At least one supporting image
- Supporting elements such as testimonials or security badges (Optional) and most importantly…
- A form to capture information
Additional no-brainers we’ve seen go undefeated in split testing…
- Remove the Main Navigation
- Match the Headline of the Landing Page to its Call To Action
- Less is More
- Be Clear and Bold with Benefits
- Encourage Social Sharing
- More Landing Pages = More Leads
According to a recent marketing benchmarks report, companies see a 55% increase in leads by increasing landing pages from 10 to 15. The more content, offers, and landing pages you create, more opportunities to generate more leads for your business.
PART 4: Optimizing Lead Gen Forms
Forms are the key to a landing page …
Without them, there is no way to “convert” a visitor into a lead. Forms come in handy when it’s time for people to sign-up, subscribe to your site or download an offer.
The following tips will uncover how to build great landing page forms.
- The Right Form Length = Minimum information needed
- One of the best ways to increase conversion rates on forms is to simply NOT use the default word on your button: “SUBMIT”
- Reduce Anxiety With Social Proof-Elements
- Make it Seem Shorter. If your form requires a lot of fields, try making the form look shorter by adjusting the styling – or use a separate form via pop-up…
PART 5: Omnichannel Lead Generation
Your website isn’t a silo. Marketers must utilize many other channels in order to maximize their inbound lead generation efforts.
In this sense, a channel might be a retail store, a website, a social media platform, an email, or a text message.
The objective is to make it easy for buyers to research, evaluate and purchase products in any way that is most appropriate for them. It’s all about having the right inbound marketing mix.
In this last section, I’m going to briefly cover a few channels that help businesses generate the most amount of leads.
- According to HubSpot’s recent Benchmarks report, companies that blog 6-8X per month double their lead volume.
- Use Links and CTAs within Offers
- Social Lead Gen. Publishing and sharing content that directs traffic to targeted landing pages is the single biggest lever to increase lead generation through social media.Share your new content offers by posting links to landing pages, and in addition, share blog posts, discounts, and other great resources.
Generating leads online has the power to transform your marketing.
Using great offers, calls-to-action, landing pages and forms – while promoting them in multi-channel environments – can reduce your cost-per-lead while delivering higher quality prospects to your sales team.
The basics herein are just the beginning.
Our free lead generation guide contains many best practices for every aspects of lead generation to help bolster your conversion rates, but these tactics are only the tip of the iceberg.
Continue to tweak and test each step of your inbound lead generation process in an effort to improve lead quality and increase revenue.
Now go, young grasshopper, on your way to becoming a lead generation master! 🙂
Ready To Put These Inbound Marketing Tips & Tricks To Work?
Here is my master list of online list building and email marketing automation tools, each proven split test winners against its predecessors in 2017. Enjoy! 🙂
Drip – “The best marketing automation platform, hands down”
If you don’t already have one, you need an email service provider. This must-have tool allows you to communicate directly with your growing audience and develop relationships with your target market. There are a ton of email service providers out there, so I don’t want you to get stuck in the weeds trying to research them all. Drip is an all-around good pick that will grow with you. I love their segmenting and funnel building capabilities the most! With Drip, you can start simple (for just $1!) and move into setting up more sophisticated funnels down the road.
LeadPages – “Get more leads and customers”
LeadPages is my go-to to solution for creating opt-in pages that grow my email list every single day. In fact, I use it to set up opt-ins for all of the freebies on this site. My favorite thing about LeadPages is their drag and drop templates. These make it easy to put together high-converting, designer-approved pages on the fly.
ConvertKit – “Email marketing for professional bloggers”
ConvertKit is my number one recommendation for email list management and building. ConvertKit makes managing your email list and setting up autoresponders so easy and user-friendly. Segmenting my email subscribers into groups so that they get content specific to their individual needs has never been more simple.
Wishpond – “Marketing tools designed to quickly and easily scale a business. No coding required.”
This all-in-one marketing automation platform includes not only landing pages without need for coding, but it also has built-in email marketing automation and a host of assets you can use to build your email list in minutes.
OptinMonster – Lead Generation Software That Drives Huge Results, FAST!
This pop-up tool (plus more) converts website visitors into subscribers and customers. You can create various types of lead generation forms such as lightbox popups, floating bars, slide-ins, and more.
Aweber – “All the tools you need to send emails the right way.”
Email is perfect for keeping your brand top of mind and staying connected with those who make a purchase, read your blog or meet you in person. And when you join the community where email automation began, you get access to all features and a team that’s 100% devoted to your success.
Optimizepress – Marketing Site Creation, Made Easy…
What Can You Create With OptimizePress? Now you can create almost any kind of pages for your business inside WordPress Edit your pages with our 100% Live editor – meaning you see the changes you make to your content and layout live on the page. No need to refresh, preview or reload… OptimizePress comes in WordPress Theme & Plugin formats, so is fully integrated with the WordPress CMS. You can use the plugin version of OP with any other theme if you want to keep your main blog design.
Need help building your sales funnel, new website or product launch campaign?
My team and I can help you build the PERFECT online marketing funnel or launch campaign for your business in 2017, but we can only work with 8 clients at a time…