Citing nearly every success story in business recency, sources have confirmed that social integration is to the marketer what Miley Cyrus is to publicity. Opinions fly, someone cries, but thanks to social networks – the traffic and conversations never die.
Question: Can you name a brand or product left standing without a social media presence?
In what is clearly a world revolving around information recency, with people unaccepting of irrelevance, content strategy remains king. And if its reign has a future, social integration holds not only the key to the Palace, but survival of the kingdom as well.
Social Media Hosts a Killer Party
The all-too-popular assessment of social media is the footprint it has left on the media landscape – both in the growth of digital and whatever the other chooses to name itself in desperate aims at (non-typed) keyword relevance.
Given the latter’s inability to target competitively, I’d recommend Googling if curious – sadly, it won’t hit the press or be seen in Fast-Forward on your DVR quite fast enough.
- Social media is the fastest-moving channel (yes, keyword opportunity…it’s easily the most AGILE)
- Where users control the conversation with like-minded friends
- It’s cheaper and more interactive than email or traditional schmedia
- In fact, social media is the only marketing channel that allows you to engage and interact with the user – it’s a two-way relationship, which can be hugely lucrative for brands
- 27% of ALL time spent on the Internet is spent at one of Social’s party pads (Experian)
But it’s time-consuming, has a very low shelf life and…wait…I’ve Heard this Argument Before. Oh yeah, that was back when we thought social media was social networks. Soooooo few years ago.
Social Media NEVER Misses a Party
Whether you go or not, social media has never missed a party. Ask the…well, can you think of anyone that hasn’t accepted this to be not only a certainty, but often the reason they arrived as well?
How Social Media Gets you Laid
- Social media and blogs account for 23% of time spent at the online party (CMI)
- When it comes to trust, social shares win by a landslide vote – 92% of users trust recommendations from peers (MediaBistro)
- Choosing to go it alone will only give Social Media’s helping hands to the 87% of your competitors that need its help to share content (MediaBistro)
- Social Media Leads, once collected, averages a conversion rate 13% higher than average (HubSpot)
Despite the endlessly enthusiastic pick-up line attempts I see of company Facebook posts and tweets, social users don’t seem to want to buy your vacuum cleaner NOW while discussing rain forest cleanup. (Online Targeting – you’re Doing it Wrong)
Often this Ads-for-Free-Ad-Space post type is (surprisingly) met with eager cynics and the disgruntled ‘okay’ customers (at best) that follow them to the brand-bashing Comment line…
Did anyone in marketing ever think that perhaps social media’s existence – as well as inbound marketing’s overall climb in media muscle – PROVES that ‘Buy Now’ is an intrusive and ignorant call-to-action? #FAIL
Social Media Gets you the Digits, but Fish where the Fish Are
- 77% of B2C marketers say they have acquired a customer through Facebook
- 34% of marketers have generated leads using Twitter and 20% have closed deals
- LinkedIn is 277% more effective at generating leads than Facebook and Twitter
- 77% of B2B marketers saying that they have acquired a customer through LinkedIn
Social media also leads to more “indirect” leads. It helps you get more traffic that you can try to convert once they get to your website, and studies have shown that most buyers (77%) are “more likely to buy from a company whose CEO uses social media.”
It’s Not Just for You – Social Shares the Love
- Social sharing boosts email marketing results as well – but only by 158% in 2013 (MediaBistro)
- ‘Forward to a Friend’ is NOT a Substitute for Share Icons (Top Rank Blog reports a whopping 0.1% CTR)
- Tweeting cuts Google’s indexation time by 50% (Social Media Today)
- It also reduces the time it takes it takes GoogleBot to find your content
- Social sharing is also proven to increase SEO rankings for terms in the share, social connections, and improves the domains ability to rank
- Dominates the Author authority and social bookmarking factors that influence SERP rankings
This is just the tip of the iceberg – Social logins, apps and mobile integration are additionally bigger pieces of the pie. Each prhe ovides big advantages in helping you know the users that connect with your content.
Social is agile, the audience cares, and its biggest (and most overlooked) revenue factor…social shares. And so should you.