Your first order of business, as a new business, is having a strategic plan.
This so-called “go-to-market gameplan” can be simple. You DO NOT need a 50-page strategic document.
In fact, we recommend a scorecard that outlines:
- Objectives – what will you need to do to be a successful startup business
- Customers – growth, how many customers do you need and how much effort do you need to put into new business efforts
- Retention (if applicable)
- Awareness – all your identify elements and promotional plan to raise brand or product awareness
- Value Proposition – it could be something like social responsibility … what makes you different from a competitor?
If you are a brand new startup, you may have additional operational goals for reporting, team building, hiring resources, etc.
The bottom line is … you need to have a plan.
Compared to execution, strategy is easy. But you can’t execute without a plan.
Here’s a template to get you thinking about both …