When used in combination with fifth-grade level social intelligence and even mild sensitivity, there’s little argument that email is a last-touch powerhouse for online revenue.
- Remains the most cost-effective way to reach all of your known prospects and customers.
- Emails are considered valuable input (at least initially) by your target audience – that’s why people opt in to your email list to begin with (and opt out if they deem it stupid or irrelevant).
- Versatility – you can to give people a few alerts or updates, offer them new content, deliver purchase and post-purchase touches, or wield anything from discounts and promotions to events and thought leadership.
- Immediate, personal and universally measurable
When Email Marketing Goes Wrong
In the wrong hands, email marketing is just spam with new software that’s covering in special content sauce via tips from the old-school copywriting me-too marketing turd polishers.
- Segment or Suffer the Loss of Relevance – would you tell to a high school janitor the same story you’d tell your boss, your doctor or even your peers?
- And even if you did, would you tell each of them the same story – in the same context?
- Behavioral targeting is the segmentation choice of the un-stupid… people buy or donate based on common behavioral interests, not your Quantcast or Alexa clipart
- The only acceptable tie-in with email success is and objective – website visits, social media interactions and /or offline activity. Otherwise, why did you send it?
- If your email marketing is siloed, as far too many are these days, your “leads” handed off to the Sales team won’t reflect any data you have on them – and they won’t convert.
Unfortunately, for many B2B marketers, email marketing efforts remain actively in the Jurassic Era, with a ready – fire – aim style of email blasts and Weekly Loseletters.
Because it’s a cost-effective marketing channel, the digital stupid are permitted to run the programs, the department and the allocation of resources – based on a Direct Mail background at casinos (how are they doing?) – at best.
As the increasing percentage of marketing teams shift their email marketing to the next level, closed loop analytics and cross-functional teams closely follow – and ROI multiplies.
The challenge is to harness the power of modern email marketing tactics with cross-channel online strategies introduce the realistic impact of business email – without getting bogged down in complexity.
“Event-triggered emails will deliver better results when refined and will free up more time for other activities once you have triggers in place.”
– Dave Chaffey, Smart Insights
Need more proof? Run a search in Google around the effect of email communication on recent political campaigns, leadership approval ratings, voter segments reactivating and overall public engagement with political leaders in Western countries.